Monday, July 13, 2009

Cookies

It feels like I have hardly posted a thing over here. I don't know if I have been neglecting this blog, or just not cooking anything new. Probably a little of both. Today was "Cookie Sunday" at church, so here are my two contributions. On the left, cake cookies. On the right, chocolate no-bakes.
I have been making cake cookies for a long time. They are a simple go-to recipe. You just combine 1 box of cake mix, (any type will do), 2 eggs, 1/3 cup oil. Add whatever goodies you want. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes or so. That is it! These are from the "funfetti" mix, which is a kid pleaser. I also like using chocolate mix and adding chocolate chips or M&M's, or whatever else my pantry has to offer that day.

The second recipe is from Mom, and is also simple.

In a big bowl stir together:
3 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Combine and boil 1 minute:
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 tsp vanilla

Stir the chocolate goo into the oatmeal mix. Stir well and drop by spoonfuls (I use my cookie scoop) onto wax paper. They will set up as they cool.

It is a very forgiving recipe. I didn't have nearly enough oatmeal, so I just added a lot more coconut. I also was short on the cocoa, but it didn't seem to matter. Mental note: Check supplies before you start cooking....

No comments: