This one was so delicious I just had to post it!
Kristine calls it "potato curry." But really you can use any vegetables you want. It can also easily be made as vegan or vegetarian. You could also throw in some cubed chicken and not make it vegetarian at all!
Anway, here's the recipe.
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (or a bit less)
- 4 T veg oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste (I didn't have any on hand, and it still turned out fine)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- Your choice of 3 vegetables. I used bell pepper, cauliflower, and tofu (not really a vegetable but whatever). Other ideas include sweet potato, eggplant, zucchini, peas, green beans, carrots, etc.
1. "Toast" the first two spices by warming in a dry, nonstick skillet on medium heat, until fragrant. Kristine skips this step but I went ahead and did it.
2. Heat 3 T oil in dutch oven on med-high heat. Add onions and vegetables and cook until cooked and golden.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add final T of oil to pan, then throw in garlic, ginger, tomato paste, and toasted spices. Stir 1-2 min.
4. Add tomatoes, water/broth, chickpeas. Stir and reduce to simmer, 15 min. Add cream jus tbefore serving.