Tuesday, April 14, 2009

French Toast Strata

As I post this I realize that I have a lot of brunch bake recipes. I like them for a bunch of reasons.

1) They are usually cheap to make.

2) Related to 1, they use up leftovers well. This one uses up the last of the French Bread loaf before it turns to a rock on the countertop.

3) I love having dinner made at 10 in the morning and not have to worry about it at 4 or 5, which is generally the hour when my kids are most demanding. (To put it kindly.)

4) I'm the cook, and I think they are yummy!

French Toast Strata

4 cups of day old French Bread, but into 3/4" cubes (you can use a little more, but make sure they don't end up more than one layer thick.)
1/3 cup golden raisins. (Regular raisins work, too, but they kids will detect them easier.)
3 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/4" cubes
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbl sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Spray 11x7 baking dish. Place bread cubes on the bottom. Sprinkle raisins and cream cheese on top.

Beat eggs. Add milk, syrup and vanilla. Mix well and pour over the bread mixture.

Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the strata. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until puffy and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

And Jenny loves it! I remember when you made this years ago and I got the recipe from you. I still love it.