Monday, August 10, 2009

Easy (er) Mannicotti

I give credit of this recipe most to America's Test Kitchen. But I also improvised a little bit. It's much easier than stuffing mannicotti noodles!

Easy(er) mannicotti

For cheesey middle:
3 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups grated mozzarella
1 cup Parmesan (I used the green can, though I'm sure fresh might be better)
2 eggs
salt
pepper
one bag spinach, sauteed and squeezed dry (optional, but a great way to add a little bit of folate to your diet)
Basil
Parsley

Mix all ingredients together, set aside

One box oven ready/no boil lasagna noodles. (this is the secret to the easy part)

Boil water in a teapot, pour into 9x13 pan, and one by one, layer noodles in hot water. Leave for 5 minutes, or until plyable. (I got sidetracked today and waited longer than 5 minutes, and they stuck together... this had never happened before... so 5 minutes or less is the key)
Take noodles out, lay on clean towel, spread some cheese mixture onto noodle and roll up. voila! Mannicotti.
Lay into pan (I fit 13 in) and cover with your favorite red sauce. (I used Lucas' famous red sauce). Cover with cheese. Bake until bubbly

The final product (minus my dinner serving).

No comments: