Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vanilla pancake syrup

I just realize I haven't posted anything here since the 4th of July! I attribute half to a busy summer, but half to just being lazy in the kitchen, I guess. But school is starting next week, so I hope to crack open a few cookbooks and try some new things.

This one is so simple to make, and just tastes yummier than store bought syrup. I found the recipe in "Family Feasts for $75 a Week," by Mary Ostyn. I would recommend this cookbook highly to anyone trying to stretch a budget by making more things homemade instead of buying costlier store bought versions.

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a saucepan, combine sugars, water, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla.

Cool for 15 minutes before using.

Store in a tightly covered bottle in the cupboard.

No comments: