Monday, June 15, 2009

Remy's Macaroni

We picked this book up at the library last week. The combination of kids' recipes and Pixar characters is always a winner for Zachary. I asked him what he wanted to cook first, and not surprisingly, he picked Remy's Macaroni. The recipe was very much made for kids to help. It turned out very good, though. It made a giant 9x13 and we barely had any leftovers. I joked to Nathanael that I should just keep filling up the one side of Zachary's plate while he ate off of the other.

  • Cook 1# of macaroni according to package directions.
  • Layer in 9x13: 1/3 of the macaroni, 1 cup milk, 6 slices cheese (American or Cheddar)
  • Repeat three times. (We went with two layers of American, and one layer of Cheddar.)
  • Smash 12 Ritz crackers and sprinkle on top.
  • Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.
When I pulled it out of the oven, the milk and cheese were still pretty separated, so I dumped it into a big bowl and stirred it around. I lost the crumby layer by doing this, though. So maybe next time I'll bake for 35 minutes, stir and return to the casserole, and then add the crumb layer and bake the extra 10 minutes.

Nathanael and I added salt to our bowls, but the kids were happy enough without.

Is it done, yet? Is it done, yet? Is it done, yet?

1 comment:

brian b. said...

I can't wait, how long does it take to bake?