Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crockpot beans


I have always been weary of dry beans.  The few times I've tried to cook them up I ended up soaking, boiling, simmering, and then enjoying beans that were somehow both crunchy and mushy.  So I quit trying.
But now I do them in the crockpot, and it is foolproof!  No soaking to remember, either.

This is about a pound of dried beans, which costs around $1 in the bulk section at Winco.

Rinse them and check for rocks or odd beans.

Put them in the crockpot and cover with several inches of water.  

Cook on high for 8 hours. 

Voila!  

This batch made at least the equivilant of 6 cans for about $1.

The other day I made pinto beans (included an onion in the crockpot), mashed them up, seasoned them, and had a giant pile of refried beans.  Mmmmm.  (I didn't take a picture of that, because it looked like a giant pot of refried beans.)

No comments: