Saturday, October 26, 2013

Kristen's Spaghetti and Meatballs

My friend Kristen made this on our trip to Chelan, and it was delicious!
Here's the recipe with her notes:

Aunt Doris Spaghetti and meatballs

Meatballs
1.5lbs hamburger (I don't use hamburger usually. I'll use combination of spicy chicken sausage and pork and add fennel and anise seeds to make it more "sausagy" if not using sausage. any combination ground meat works if you add spice)
1 C parmesan (I use the bagged shredded stuff from trader joes)
2TB oregano (I use heaping TBS of oregano & parsley and add Basil too)
2TB sugar (I use probably half)
2 tsp salt
2TB parsley
1/4 tsp red pepper (I use more)
1.5 C breadcrumbs (I use the Italian variety)
2 eggs
1/2 onion diced (or more)
2 cloves garlic (I use a lot more !!!)
salt and pepper

Bake balls 15-20 min at 350

Sauce
1 lg can 28oz tomatoes (crushed)
1 lg can or two small cans tomato paste
3 cans tomato sauce
1/2 can water (or more-eyeball it)
2 tb sugar (I use less)
6TBS parsley
3TBSs oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper

I add onion and garlic to this too. Just sauté it in some olive oil before adding all the cans.
Simmer sauce for couple hours. add water if needed. I don't like it too thick but not runny either
Add the meatballs last half hour or more if you want.

No comments: