Saturday, January 30, 2010

Creamy Chicken and Rice


My friend Julie gave me this recipe several years ago, and I forgot about it until the recipe card fell out of another cookbook the other day. It is definitely worth keeping in the rotation! I picked up some Velveeta at Costco the other day, and Abigail asked me what it was. I had to think, and then described it as "kind of fake, melty cheese," which made another lady in the aisle chuckle. I mean, I love the stuff, but my Tillamook roots make it hard to label it cheese.

5 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup butter or margarine, divided
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1/2 to 1 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
4-5 cups cubed cooked chicken
12 oz velveeta
2 cups sour cream
1 tube of Ritz, crushed

Spread rice into greased 9x13 and set aside.

In a saucepan melt 1/4 cup butter, stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, bouillon, seasoning salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring a lot, for 2 minutes, or until thick and bubbly.

Reduce heat, add chicken, cheese, sour cream. Stir until the cheese is melted. Pour over the rice.

Melt the remaining 1/4 cup of butter and toss with the cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes.

No comments: