Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rømmegrøt

or Sour Cream Porridge


I found this in a Norwegian cookbook. The cookbook says it is one of the oldest recipes in Norway, always served on special occasions. It was an adventure to cook. I can certainly say that I have never boiled sour cream before!

We served it with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top, but the cookbook says it can also be served as a main course, along with cured meats and a red fruit juice.

2 cups sour cream
3/4 cups flour
2 cups milk
dash of salt
cinnamon sugar

In a saucepan, bring sour cream to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, then add half the flour and whisk it carefully. Skim off any butter (from the sour cream) that rises to the surface and set aside. (I didn't get any....)

Stir in the rest of the flour, 1 Tbl at a time. Stir in the milk. Simmer, whisking, for 5 to 6 minutes until the porridge is very smooth. (I had lumpy issues here, and ended up getting nice and smooth in my blender. I'm sure the Cuisinart has been around since early Norwegian times, right?) Season to taste with salt.

Serve with reserved (which I didn't have) butter and cinnamon and sugar.

No comments: