Saturday, November 7, 2009

Chicken Taco Soup

K...its really hard for me to post recipes because I NEVER follow one! This started out as Patty Thomas' chicken tortilla soup and it evolved into something like this!

1/2 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green or red peppers
1 sm. can green chilies
I've done without the celery, green chilies and/ or the peppers before and its fine.
3 or 4 cups cooked, cut up chicken
a box of chicken broth, or a couple cans (about 3 or 4 cups)
jar of spaghetti sauce
taco seasoning packet
1 cup sr. cream

So...obviously, you boil the chicken (I've used this leftover liquid for the broth too, maybe just adding a boullion cube or two), cut it up.
Saute the veggies in a bit of olive oil(except green chilies)
then just dump all ingredients (except sr. cream)back in the pot. I usually add several cups of water to the pot at this point. Can adjust spice level by adding more or less taco seasoning.
Simmer for an hour or so. Remove from heat and when its stopped boiling gradually stir in 1 cup of sr. cream.
Serve with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheddar cheese and an extra dollop of sr. cream if desired.
The hubby and I LOVE this, my older two kids LOVE it, my younger two kids won't touch it! Can't win em' all.
I'll post a picture soon!

No comments: