Friday, March 13, 2009

Bagels


I thought it would be fun to make bagels with the kids. They did get a kick out of helping and watching the first few steps, but then lost interest and I was stuck doing 101 little steps to finish them. It isn't like it was hard to do, but hard to keep up with the rest of the house in the process. I found myself thinking I should never make them again, but then they did turn out pretty tasty. So who knows. Next time I will at least do it on a morning Nathanael is here to help with the kids.

This is straight out of the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, with some minor adjustments and notes from me.

Ingredients

  • 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups bread flour
  • 1 package active dry yeast (or about 3 tsp if you have bulk)
  • 1-1/2 cups warm water (120 degree F to 130 degree F)
  • 3 tablespoons sugar + 1 tbl later
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

In a large mixing bowl (I used my big mixer) combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. Add the water, 3 tbl sugar, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon (I switched to my dough hook), stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total.) (I used the mixer for about 4 minutes, and then let the kids have at it.) Cover dough and let rest for 10 minutes.

Working quickly, divide into 12 portions and roll into balls. Punch a hole in the center of each ball. Pull center of dough gently and evenly to make a 2-inch hole. Place on lightly greased baking sheet; cover and let rise 20 minutes (start timing after the first bagel is shaped).

While bagels are still rising, in a 12-inch skillet (or a big pot) bring 6 cups of water and the 1 tbl sugar to boiling. Preheat broiler.

Broil bagels 5 inches from heat 3 to 4 minutes, turning once (tops should not brown). Turn off broiler; preheat oven to 375 degree F. (Mine turned brown, but still turned out fine.)

Lower 6 bagels, 1 at a time, into boiling water. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 7 minutes, turning once. (Since I used a pot I did 3 rounds of 4 bagels.)

Remove bagels with slotted spatula; set on paper towels. Repeat with remaining bagels.

Place bagels on greased baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 12 bagels.

No comments: