Monday, January 5, 2009

Anne's First Contribution: a new curry recipe

Hey-- this blog is a great idea! I hope Suzi doesn't mind some guest contributors. I just discovered a new recipe that I thought I'd post. At the new year's eve party we attended this year, the theme was "bring your favorite new recipe from the past year." Our friends Scott and Kristine brought this one. Not perhaps as kid friendly, but maybe a savory dish for date night? I think Jill will agree with me that it was delicious!



Kristine's Curried tofu with tomatoes

2 c chopped onions
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 t salt
2 T vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 1/2 T grated peeled ginger root
2 T commercial curry powder or garam masala*
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1 cake firm tofu (about 16 oz), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes*
black pepper and hot sauce

In a large saucepan with a lid, cook the onions, peppers, and salt in the oil on medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, cinnamon, and tofu. Cover and cook on medium-low heat , stirring frequently, for 5 minutes (I find that you can't really go for 5 minutes, because it the pan is usually getting a bit too hot and spices are starting to burn. I usually just add these ingredients, give it a stir and go on). Add the tomatoes, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Occasionally stir gently. Add black pepper or hot sauce to taste.

* I usually use Sun Brand Madras Curry Powder which comes in a kind of rectangle metal can. I tried it using Spice Hunter brand curry powder, and it turned out a bit too hot and spicy and not as much flavor. If you have a curry powder you like, go for it. But you might be careful and maybe add half and give it a taste before using the full amount.

Coconut rice

1 1/2 c white rice (I usually use basmati - brown doesn't seem to work that well)
1/2 t tumeric
1/2 t salt
1 t vegetable oil
1 1/2 c water
3/4 c coconut milk

Rinse and drain the rice. In a saucepan on medium-high heat, saute the rice, turmeric, and salt in the oil for a minute or two, stirring constantly. Add the water and coconut milk, bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed, 15-20 minutes.

* Both recipes from Moosewood Restaurant's Simple Suppers cookbook

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I don't mind contributions - I'm counting on them! This one looks tasty.

I'll save if for one of those nights where the kids eat cereal for dinner 1t 6 and Nathanael and I get tasty food at 8. :)