Monday, January 12, 2009

Pizza Pasta Casserole


When I make casseroles I often double the recipe and freeze one for a later date. It doesn't take any extra work, and is SO nice on those days when 4pm rolls around and I have NO idea what to make for dinner. I actually found this recipe when I was searching for some new casserole ideas that I could make and freeze before the baby was born. It makes a lot, enough for 2 large casseroles (9x13) or 4 smaller ones. I ended up freezing one 9x13 and one 8x8, and then eating one 8x8 right away.

Ingredients: (Quantities are enough to make the double batch)

2 pounds ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 tbl olive oil
2 26 oz jars of spaghetti sauce
16 ounces rotini pasta, cooked and drained
5 cups shredded mozzarella
8 oz sliced pepperoni

  • Brown beef, onion, garlic and oil together. Drain if needed.
  • Stir in pasta, sauce, and 3 cups of the cheese.
  • Place mixture into greased pans (see above for size choices)
  • Sprinkle with remaining cheese
  • Top with pepperoni
To cook now, bake at 350 for 24-30 minutes.

To freeze, cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. (Or when you forget to thaw the night before just bake it for longer.)

No comments: