Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Aunt Selma's Mondel Bread




Mondel bread is very similar to biscotti... except Jewish. It's very easy, and wonderful to put in the freezer and pull out a piece or two (or three) when you need it.

Ingredients:
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
6 oz chopped nuts**
6 oz chocolate bits *
3 cups flour

cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling

Mix oil, sugar eggs, baking powder, vanilla, nuts and chocolate chips.
Fold in one cup of flour at a time.
Grease cookie sheet with butter
divide dough into 3 loaves. Place on cookie sheet, leave room between loaves.
Bake for 30 minutes @ 350
Remove from oven, let cool until you can hold pan
Slice into 1/2 inch slices, lay out on cookie sheet.
return to oven until light brown (about 15 minutes)
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

**I don't add nuts, rather double the chocolate
* Allie uses mini chips, I find if you use full size chocolate chips, use a little less than 12 ounces. (I know it sounds silly to use less, but really, it's true)

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hooray for this recipe!

Suzanne said...

A picture means you just made some, huh? I can practically taste them! I guess I could just make some myself, but then I would eat them ALL! :)