This recipe is out of a muffin cookbook that Marla and Lucas sent for my birthday. Every recipe out of it has been a winner so far! At least for the taste, probably not for the diet... :)
1 3/4 cups self-rising flour***
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 superfine sugar (I used standard issue)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
7 tbl butter, melted
2 tsp cinnamon
6 tbl brown sugar
***If you don't have self-rising flour substitute 1 3/4 cups regular flour, plus 2 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Either grease or line with paper muffin cups 10 muffin cups of a muffin pan. (I did the paper cups because the kids like them, but wish I had just sprayed them. It made it hard to swirl later on.)
- Mix up the cinnamon sugar and set aside.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix egg, milk, and melted butter.
- Add wet to the dry all at once and mix just until combined.
- Put a tablespoon full of batter into each muffin cup. Sprinkle with a heaping teaspoon of cinnamon sugar. Add more batter, more cinnamon sugar, and finish with a layer of batter. Use a skewer or a sharp knife and swirl the mixtures around to get a marbled look.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until risen and golden. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then cool on a wire rack. Serve either warm or cool.