Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dairyland Rolls


I love making bread and rolls. It makes the house smell SO good, plus they are yummy. I found this recipe in The Oregonian in 1992. And now I feel really old. These go really well with a soup or a stew the first night (I have a stew in the crockpot now) and make good sandwich rolls the next day.

2 cups hot milk
6 tbl margarine or butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
2 packages yeast (or 5 tsp if you buy it in bulk)
7 cups flour, divided. (I usually use half whole wheat flour and half bread flour, but all purpose works, too.)
3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup grated cheese
  • To hot milk add margarine, sugar and salt. Let cool a bit so it isn't too hot for the yeast.
  • Add yeast, and let stand for 3 minutes, or until all bubbly.
  • Add 3 cups flour and beat thoroughly.
  • Add eggs and cheese, and then the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup or so at a time, until you have a soft dough.
  • Knead lightly. (I make it all in my stand mixer and let the mixer knead it for me.)
  • Let rise until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
  • Punch down.
  • Shape into rolls.
  • Let rise until light. (15-20 minutes)
  • Bake on cookie sheets at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes. The rolls will sound hollow when thumped when they are done.
Start to finish it takes about 2 1/2 hours.
I made it into 27 rolls (12 on a cookie sheet and 15 in a 9x13) and they were big rolls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember coming home after a day of work at the hospital and opening the door to the kitchen and smelling the delicious aroma of your freshly baked rolls. Ahhhhhhh, heaven!! I'm sure Nathanael and the kids love them as much as Dad and I did!

javajill said...

I'm impressed that you bake often enough to buy yeast in bulk!