Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cinnamon Balls or Snickerdoodles


This recipe if from a cookbook called 1001 Cookies. The recipe I originally made was called Cinnamon Balls and I noted "Very good! Fluffier than snickerdoodles. Very easy dough to handle." After I wrote those notes it occurred to me to check the snickerdoodle recipe in the same book, and the recipe is identical. So I guess we are down to 1000 cookie recipes in that book! But since they are fluffy hopefully they will be what Marla is looking for in a snickerdoodle.

Dough:
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup shortening
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Cinnamon Sugar:
3 tbl sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat over to 350. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl cream the shortening and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.

Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish.

Pinch off 1 inch pieces of dough and roll into balls. Roll in cinnamon sugar and place 1 1/2 inches apart on the baking sheets.

Bake for 10-14 minutes, until lightly colored. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

My little helpers. I wanted to point out the cookie scoop on top of the bowl of cinnamon sugar. I LOVE using it when making cookies. For drop cookies it makes the perfect size straight onto the cookie sheet. And for rolled cookies they are also uniform, and practically in balls already. I also have a bigger size that I use when making muffins, and scoop the batter straight into the muffin tin.

2 comments:

marla said...

thank you! I'll have to give these a try!

brian b. said...

i Love snickerdoodles!
I Love making them and eating them is even more fun YUM!