Monday, January 19, 2009

Risotto with Sweet Italian Sausage

I based this recipe off of one called Risotto with Sweet Italian Sausage and Radicchio from the free Costco cookbook. But then I realized that radicchio was $8 a pound, for a funny little cabbage, and decided to pass. But even without it the risotto was absolutely delicious!

2 tbl olive oil
5 links sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings (I found a turkey sausage)
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 1/2 cups rice - (recipe originally called for Arborio, I had Calrose (in the giant yellow bag from Costco))
1/2 cup dry white wine - (I only had chardonnay. Is that dry?)
6-8 cups chicken broth (I used 2 cans of broth and then made the rest with bouillon cubes)
2 tbl butter
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in a big pot over medium heat. Add sausage and onion, breaking up the sausage, until sausage is cooked.

Add rice and stir until rice is hot, 3-5 minutes. Add wine and stir until dry.

Add 2 cups broth and cook, stirring often, until rice absorbs liquid. Add remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring often. After it absorbs each time add more, until rice is creamy but still slightly al dente, taking 15-20 minutes. (I only needed 6 cups of broth. )

Remove from the heat and cover for 8 minutes. Stir in butter and Parmesan vigorously. Serve immediately.

Makes a lot!

No comments: